Saturday, April 16, 2011

A road in Thiotte with the Pine Forest on the mountain in the background.

-958656314

RT @thehaitian Coffee I had this morning never saw a brand or plastic bag. Sugar was dark red. This is #Haiti. At Esperanza Guesthouse in Thiotte. 36342171

Posted via email from The Haitian

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Rival Candidates Claim Victory in Election Result Delay

I found this article from 1957, it's amazing how as time by the more things
stay the same..


Rival Candidates Claim Victory in Election
Result Delay


Published on Monday, 23 September 1957

Written by Samuel Maxime


On Monday, Haitian citizens tensely waited for the results of Sunday's
elections hoping that the next president could bring peace to the country.

According to the Associated Press, before the counting of the votes even
began, Former Senator Louis Dejoie and his supporters threatened to burn
down Port-au-Prince if Dejoie did not come out the victor of the presidency.

Rival presidential candidate, Dr. Francois Duvalier, a physician, claimed
victory in the election, as well. Due to long delays in the reporting from
tabulation centers in Port-au-Prince, no trending information will be
available until Wednesday.


No Enthusiasm for the Boycott


The third presidential candidate, Clement Jumelle, earlier on, called for a
boycott of the election claiming that there was fraud involved.

This marked the first time women had the right to vote in Haiti, and
according to the Ministry of Justice, 81% of the 1.6 million registered
voters cast ballots. This would indicate that few heard the calls of
Jumelle.

Since last December, Haiti has been plagued by election violence as it has
tried to find its leader. Provisional President Antonio Kebreau said that
the voting this time around was peaceful. There were very few incidents, one
was where a soldier shot down a voter who attacked him and two minor
incidents unrelated occurred in different parts of the country.

Kebreau and two other men seized power on June 14 with a military junta and
2500 well trained soldiers and police.


Candidates Spar as Results are Delayed


The first data is expected to be known late Monday but with delays in
reporting at tabulation centers in Port-au-Prince, no real trend can be
determined until Wednesday.

Duvalier, 48, is a doctor and has pledged honesty in government. He said he
would seek U.S. and U.N. aid in developing the nation's agricultural and
natural resources if elected.

Duvalier began charging the Dejoie campaign of using large sums of money to
buy votes. Dejoie partisans returned charges at Duvalier claiming that the
military had rigged the election in Duvalier's favor.

Dejoie, 61, is a mulatto plantation owner who promised industrial progress
through out his campaign. He campaigned saying that he would be able to get
$90 million in U.S. dollars to aid the country.

Posted via email from The Haitian

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Intellectual Impunity: Why I'm Not Signing The Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti's Letter Supporting Aristide's Return

Today I received an email (attached) asking me to sign on to a letter by the Institute for Justice and Democracy in Haiti to the US Department of State asking them to retract a statement urging Former President Aristide of Haiti to delay his return to Haiti until after this weekend’s presidential election. The claim is made that "The unimpeded passage of President Aristide’s plane is issue of principle, important both to Haitian and U.S. democracy."

Why are the undersigned lawyers supporting this petition? What good do they think this will do for Haiti? Haiti is a mess and Aristide was instrumental along with a long list of failed leaders in getting Haiti here. Haiti is a failed state in every sense.  What good can Aristide's return bring? Ask yourself what role he expects to play? Why is he rushing back on the eve of the election? Whoever wins this election wont take office for a few months and will not have any authority over him just as they have none now. His stated fear that the next next president will not let him enter is unfounded. Any message he wants to send he can do so via radio, email, telephone, twitter etc, insuring his freedom of speech. Why now? I doubt that his rush back is an act of good faith. His professed intentions are belied by the firestorm he is causing by his impending return.

This petition is foolishness. Aristide’s return, Duvalier enjoying the cool mountain air here and a completely unprepared candidate like Michel Martelly (I hope he wins) so close to the presidency are all evidence of the state of our country. We have no politicians, no men/women with the vision and will to be in Haiti and direct her. In that vacuum men like Martelly are on the verge of the presidency. Drug dealers and murders are being elected to parliament. Impunity reigns.

The idea of "principle" that the signers of this letter are citing has Haiti all but dead. Democracy as practiced here has brought her nothing in the last 25 years. She is a nation in name only with no roads worth speaking of, trees for shade, local food security or steady power generation. The capital city is no less than a massive slum with inadequate garbage clean up, non-functioning infrastructure, rampant building code violations, impunity and corruption. Every wall is a public urinal, every gully a trash can. Every piece of clear road,  is a license for scores of vehicles (private, ngo and diplomatic alike) to drive on the wrong side of the road to tie up the traffic more intractably further down the road; all as the police sit by and do nothing.

Right now, as you read this note, shanty towns are filling every space on every road. I’m not talking about the temp to perm tent cities resulting from the earthquake. I am talking about small houses cut into hill sides with no services or infrastructure whatsoever. They are mostly built on solid looking foundations composed of river rock and cement. Who is building these one room homes? Is it the people supposedly making $2 a day? I seriously doubt it. Someone is building these houses in violation of every construction code in the law and renting them out. In the process they contribute to the choking urban sprawl with not one citation or cease and desist order from government or a care for urban planning.

Environmental impunity! For god-sake the trees are almost gone. A drive down any road shows the trunks of tall thin trees for rent to be used as support posts in some makeshift construction project. Nearly every meal consumed in Haiti is cooked on charcoal made from other trees. The meals cooked are usually imported US rice and imported US chicken; the American answer to Haitian food security. The sugar cane consumed in the streets, the limes used to prepare food are being imported from the Dominican Republic for lack of domestic production and degraded land.

The biggest crime committed by Haitians themselves and by the international community is the silence with which they face this epidemic of impunity. The return to Haiti of Duvalier, at best, one of its worst leaders, under the protection of police escort, to dine at fine restaurants and enjoy the International Jazz Festival is no less than a sad joke; no less than Haiti's naked emperor moment. (Now we are awaiting another failed and corrupt leader who learned well the message of impunity in Duvalier's return.) After all, what will it take to prosecute these men? We are not talking about mounting an anti-cholera program or housing reconstruction with its huge costs. We are talking about arresting them if appropriate, taking testimony from their victims, evaluating the facts, and coming up with a credible result for better or for worse and under the rule of law of the Haitian constitution. After all, killing and embezzling is still illegal in Haiti.
 
That the Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti (IJDH) led by Brian Concannon is pressing a weak constitutional argument in the face of what is Haiti today is a an exercise in fantastic intellectual gymnastics completely and stupendously disconnected from the reality that is Haiti and what she needs to move forward. The IJDH would better serve the Haitian constitution by helping it honor its commitment to free education for its children or prosecuting lawless and corrupt government officials like ex-presidents and corrupt customs officers.

I, for one, reject this petition on the basis that it supports everything that is wrong with Haiti today. It is an argument for more impunity, the one thing Haiti has too much of.

Alain Armand
www.twitter.com/thehaitian

--- On Wed, 3/16/11, Brian Concannon <brian@ijdh.org> wrote:


From: Brian Concannon <brian@ijdh.org>
Subject: Lawyers Supporting Haiti's President Aristide's Human Right to Return
To: "'Brian Concannon'" <brian@ijdh.org>
Date: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 12:05 AM

Please Forward!!

 

 

Dear Colleagues:

 

We are circulating a sign-on letter (below and attached) from lawyers and law professors to Cheryl Mills, the U.S. Department of State (DOS) Chief of Staff, in response to the DOS’ outrageous statements Monday that Haiti’s President Aristide should not return to Haiti because he might “impact Haiti’s elections.”

 

President Aristide is expected to try to fly out of South Africa on Wednesday or Thursday in a non-commercial jet, along with our colleague Ira Kurzban, actor/activist Danny Glover, journalist Amy Goodman and others. The South African government states that the U.S. government has pressured it to prevent the plane from leaving, but asserts that it will not bow to that pressure. It is expected that if the plane leaves South Africa that the U.S. government will try to prevent the plane from landing, in or near Haiti.

The unimpeded passage of President Aristide’s plane is issue of principle, important both to Haitian and U.S. democracy. But it is also one of personal safety for those on board the plane. So please consider adding your name to this letter. We ask that you list your organizational affiliation, but we will state in the letter that this is for identification purposes only.
Our time is tight, as the plane may leave on Wednesday. We will hand-deliver the letter and signatures on Thursday morning, and would therefore need to close the signatures by 2 PM ET on Wednesday. We apologize for the short notice. To sign on, simply send an email to Brian@ijdh.org.
Let us know if you have any questions, and thank you for considering supporting this initiative.
Best,

William Quigley

Legal Director

Center for Constitutional Rights

 

Brian Concannon Jr., Esq.

Director, Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti

 

 

________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

 

Cheryl Mills, Esq.

Counselor and Chief of Staff

U.S. Department of State

2201 C Street NW

Washington, DC 20520

 

Re: United States Government Opposition to the Right of Haiti’s Jean-Bertrand Aristide to Return

 

Dear Chief of Staff Mills:

 

The undersigned lawyers and law professors are writing to express our deep concern that the United States Department of State (DOS) is actively interfering with the human and constitutional right of former Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide to return to his country. As you know, President Aristide was removed from Haiti on February 29, 2004, on board a U.S. Government plane.[1] He has not returned to the country since then.

 

According to numerous press reports, on Monday March 14, DOS spokesperson Mark Toner stated that [w]e encourage the South African Government as a committed partner to Haiti’s stability to urge former President Aristide to delay his return until after the elections,” and that “[w]e would urge former President Aristide to delay his return until after the electoral process has concluded....”  These statements, read in light of previous United States Government efforts to diminish President Aristide’s presence and influence in Haiti,[2] demonstrate a deliberate effort to restrict President Aristide’s ability to travel to Haiti.

Haiti’s Constitution[3] guarantees the right of any Haitian national to return to the country.  The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), which is binding on both the United States and Haiti, declares that “[n]o one shall be arbitrarily deprived of the right to enter his own country.”[4]
The DOS justification for restricting President Aristide’s constitutional and human rights- that his “return this week could only be seen as a conscious choice to impact Haiti’s elections” is itself a violation of his political rights, including his right to free expression,[5] freedom of association,[6] and freedom to take part in the conduct of public affairs.[7]
It is especially disturbing to see such disrespect for internationally-accepted human rights from a Department that has made human rights an important part of its foreign policy, and that includes such noted human rights experts as Legal Advisor Koh and Assistant Secretary Posner.
We would urge you to reconsider the DOS policy of discouraging President Aristide’s exercise of his right to return to Haiti in light of the applicable legal standards, and to announce unequivocally that the United States government supports President Aristide’s right to return, and discourages other countries from interfering with that right.
Very truly yours,
 
*Organizational affiliations for identification purposes only

 

 

Brian Concannon Jr., Esq.

Director, Institute for Justice & Democracy in Haiti

Brian@IJDH.org

(617) 652-0876

541-263-0029 (cell)

PO Box 52115

Boston, MA 02205-2115

 



[1] President Aristide and many others assert that the departure was involuntary.

[2]  Including a June 2005 DOS Cable explaining that the U.S. Ambassador to Brazil and the Embassy Political Counselor “stressed continued USG insistence that all efforts must be made to keep Aristide from returning to Haiti or influencing the political process,” and the U.S. Government role in removing President Aristide from Haiti in February 2004.

[3] Constitution of the Republic of Haiti, Art. 41 and 41-1.

[4] ICCPR Art. 12(4)

[5] ICCPR Art. 19.

[6] ICCPR Art. 22.

[7] ICCPR Art. 25


 

Posted via email from The Haitian

Friday, February 4, 2011

Horseback Riding Lessons In #Haiti Taught by Pan American Champion Paco Gonzales

Alain,
 
CC'd above is the email adress of my new riding instructor.  His name is Paco Gonzales. his phone number is 3677.1774 and email is pasosa75@hotmail.com
the club address is
Athletic Club Centre Equestre
Rue T. Simmonds #27, Cite Militaire
 
the website is www.patchemaly.com  
 
group lesson price is $100 per month.  which is exceptionally reasonable, considering how nice the horses and the facilities are.  He has helmets, boots and chaps available for use.  as I mentioned before he is a Pan American champion.  and gives instruction from beginner through to experienced riders (i would consider myself an advanced intermediate rider by U.S. standards)
 
I will be riding saturday morning from about 10AM til about 1 PM if you want to stop by and visit.

Posted via email from The Haitian

Friday, January 14, 2011

This is what's wrong w/ business in #Haiti. Why customs reform matters to the little guy.

A good friend of mine who owned and drives a tap tap (local bus) sold his tap tap to upgrade his life. He sells the pickup to buy a ticket and visa to Venezuela. When in Venezuela he bulk buys womens undergarments to resell in Haiti. First thing that happens to him is that the Haitian shipper took to 4 months to ship is product. When the product arrived in Haiti, the Haitian customs employees stole 12 dozen sets of his merchandise. This is a typical story of how customs operates in Haiti. This is what holds back the small entrepreneur in Haiti. This is why customs reform matters to the small entrepreneur. This guy lives in 2 rooms in a house with his daughter that he pays $700/yr rent. The guys tap tap was an old wreck of truck that he got by on. He has the vision and determination to get to Venezuela to move up the economic food chain despite his lack of college education, family wealth or opportunity. Haiti must reform its custom and port operations now.

Posted via email from The Haitian